Workforce Solutions

Types of Child Care Providers

The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) establishes and enforces child care licensing standards designed to protect the safety, health and well-being of children while they are with child care providers. The different types of child care providers, listed in order of increasing oversight by child care licensing, are:

  • Listed Family Homes – homes that are not licensed or registered by the Department of Family and Protective Services
  • Registered Family Homes
  • Licensed Family Homes
  • Licensed Centers

Registered and licensed homes and centers are monitored by child care licensing staff as a means of ensuring the facilities meet standards.

Parents may visit the DFPS website to obtain additional information about child care licensing standards and to learn more about specific child care providers.

In addition to licensed and registered child care providers, parents who qualify for child care services may choose a relative child care provider. Relative child care providers are individuals who are at least 18 years of age and, by marriage, blood relationship or court decree are one of the following:

  • Child’s grandparent
  • Child’s great-grandparent
  • Child’s aunt
  • Child’s uncle
  • Child’s sibling (if the sibling does not reside in the same household as the eligible child)

Qualifying relatives must become listed with DFPS in order to become a CCS relative child care provider. With few exceptions, the relative care provider cannot reside in the same household as the eligible child.